How can drylands serve biodiversity targets?
- Published: Thursday, 25 October 2012 15:37
- Written by Erik van den Elsen
To get an answer to the question above, go to Land Day 6 at the Rio Conventions Pavilion on Monday, 15 October 2012, at the 11th Session of the COP of the Convention on Biological Diversity.
With a provocative keynote address to be delivered by world renowned environmentalist Dr. Vandana Shiva and presentations of innovative activities from the private sector, local communities and government, Land Day 6 participants will examines these issues in depth.
Discussion will be guided by three key questions:
- What is the implication of drylands land restoration for meeting the Aichi Biodiversity Targets?
- How do we measure the true economic value of land?
- How can alternative production models bridge the gap between agriculture, food and land policies?
If you want to know how the trajectory of paradigm shift on land stewardship that took place at Rio + 20 in June will influence the 2020 Aichi Biodiversity Targets, you don't want to miss this event.
Dr Braulio Dias, CBD Executive Secretary, and Mr Luc Gnacadja, UNCCD Executive Secretary, will also speak at the event.
Land Day 6 is an open event. Lunch will be provided as well as an evening reception with plenty of opportunities for interviewing and networking.
Download the programme at:http://www.unccd.int/en/programmes/Event-and-campaigns/Land-Day/Land%20day%206/Pages/default.aspx