Crete meeting info page
- Published: Wednesday, 11 February 2015 14:37
- Written by Erik van den Elsen
Plenary meeting Crete - May 2015
This page provides detailed information about the plenary meeting of the CASCADE project.
Registration for this event is required BEFORE April 12th.
The plenary meeting will be held from Tuesday, May 19th until Friday, May 22nd, 2015. All partners are required to participate with at least one person.
Accommodation is arranged at:
- Hotel Kriti (http://www.kriti-hotel.gr/)
- Price (60 € single room / 70 € double room)
- Service level (3 stars)
- Breakfast is included
- Distance to meeting venue: 700m (10 minutes on foot).
All meals arranged by the organisers will include vegetarian and lactose free food options (indicate in the registration form). The majority of restaurants offer vegetarian dishes as part of the local cuisine. Please inform us in advance if any other options are required.
a. International travel options
By plane: Chania “Daskalogiannis” Airport (CHQ) is the local airport, about 30 minutes from the hotel and venue. If for some reason this is not an option, try Heraklion “Kazantzakis” Airport (HER), but keep in mind it’s 3 hours away by bus from Chania. If better connections are available for HER we can provide more detailed info about transportation to Chania.
b. Local travel options
Once in CHQ airport, there are four alternatives to reach the city center (and Kriti hotel/meeting location):
- Public transportation: Bus (Cost 2.3€). Take the exit on the right (see picture) that takes you in front of the bus stop. You can ask for information/purchase tickets at the kiosk or in the bus. The bus schedule is available here: http://bus-service-crete.com/timetabledet.php?line=32&lg=2 .The bus will take you to the central station from where you can walk (1km - 12 minutes) or take a taxi to Hotel Kriti.
- Taxi (16€ flat rate from the taxi station): Take the exit to the taxi station (see picture) and ask to go to Kriti Hotel (about 20-minute drive). If in doubt about the fare reference the pricelist http://www.chaniataxi.gr/en/pricelist/ under “Chania city (all areas)”. Fares are also on a notice board at the taxi station. You should be able to split a cab.
- Taxi (22 € flat rate pre booked): same as above or someone waiting for you at arrivals http://www.chaniataxi.gr/eshop/chania-city-all-areas.html. You should be able to split a cab.
- By rental car: Available car rental companies at the airport. Follow this route from the airport to Chania.
Chania weather information can be found HERE.
8. CASCADE field trip
- A field trip is organised to visit the study site in Messara. The field trip will be in Wednesday 20/5, we’re expected to leave at 8:30 and be back at 22:30. A bus has been arranged for the trip, but there will be some walking in the fields so bring a pair of field/hiking boots that can take a bit of mud on that day.
- Lunch and dinner are arranged (for more info see meeting costs).
- Don’t forget your sunblock! If you’re very adventurous also bring a bathing suit and towel.
9. Meeting costs
- Participation fees will be 100 euros per person: This includes: venue, coffee brakes, and the bus cost (for the fieldtrip), all included in a single receipt from the venue organiser.
- Participation fees do not include lunches and dinners. We are arranging 3 lunches for ~10 euros/day per person and 1 dinner ~20 euros/day per person at walking distance from the venue and hotel, as well as lunch and dinner on the field trip on Wednesday, so we anticipate that the total for that will be another 100 euros per person, for which we will distribute individual receipts from each restaurant.[YD1]
- Participation fees can only be paid in cash at the venue the first day of the meeting (Tuesday).
- Receipts will be issued per participant. They will be separate for (a) hotel, (b) venue and fieldtrip (c) and meals.
10. Optional Events
For those staying late on Friday we plan to make a short trip to the “Park for the Preservation of Flora & Fauna” of the Technical University of Crete (http://www.tuc.gr/index.php?id=2587). The park is a perfect example of a pristine vegetation state and we’ll try to also arrange a short lecture there. We expect to stay there for a little less than an hour and then head for dinner here: http://www.thalasino-ageri.gr/. We’re planning to use city buses so the transportation cost will be ~5 Euros and dinner will be ~20 Euros.
For those who are planning to stay one more day and would like to have a semi-organised hike, we’re arranging a daytrip that will take us to a moderately difficult gorge (we’re aiming for this: http://www.destinationcrete.gr/el/gorges-crete/chania-gorges/imbros-gorge ) located about 1 hour from Chania. It’s essentially a 3 hour downhill walk but we strongly suggest field/hiking boots. On the drive back we’ll stop at a winery for late lunch and wine tasting (http://dourakiswinery.gr). We plan to leave at 10:00 and be back at around 19:00. We’re planning to use public transport which won’t be more than 20 euros total; the gorge entrance is 2 euros; snacks might be another 10 and lunch no more than 20. There’s no limit to the number of people for the trip but we would like to know in advance how many will join in order to make prior arrangements. Please note that in the unlikely event of rain we will have to cancel the hiking part and make alternative arrangements.