Work package 1
- Published: Monday, 16 January 2012 12:47
- Written by Joost Vlaming (SU)
Project coordination and project management
The overall objective of WB1 is two-fold: 1) to ensure proper activity management of the project, 2) to streamline any administrative, financial, and legal and IP (Intellectual Property) issues in order to enable RTD partners to focus on their research activities. Specific sub-objectives are:
- Activity management – to facilitate smooth operation of the project objectives by supporting the coordinator, WB leaders and the other RTD partners and compiling the periodic activity reports.
- Financial and legal management – to handle all the financial, administrative and legal matters of the consortium
- Communication – to ensure good communication within the project, and to parties outside the consortium
- Organization of meetings – to organize plenary project meetings and to facilitate the organization of executive board meetings
Description of work and role of partners
Since the project involves different types of institutions and partners from various disciplines, it is crucial that the various types of activities are well-coordinated. The general objective of this WB is the overall coordination of project activities and project meetings, to ensure timely project progress and to carry out the financial and administrative management of the project. This WB constitutes the link to the European Commission and is responsible for the project administration, including the consortium agreement, the management of the budget, financial transactions within the project and the financial reporting to the commission.
Task 1: Activity management
- Activity management is aimed at tracking progress of the RTD activities of the project and includes
- maintenance of the project work plan and monitoring of its implementation;
- identification of required corrective actions and contingency plans;
- implementation of decisions of the project managerial bodies.
- Preparation of periodic and final activity reports: Coordination of reporting procedures aimed at preparing periodic and final activity reports that comply with the EC rules.
- Give overall direction to the project; give follow-up on decisions of the project meetings and the Project Steering Committee meetings.
- The Project Advisory Board will be recruited, and will be consulted regularly.
Task 2: Financial and legal management
- Financial administration will take care of:
- timely distribution of funding to the appropriate partners via a dedicated Euro account;
- budget management, utilization and monitoring;
- preparation of annual consortium consolidated financial statements.
- Coordination of reporting procedures is aimed at preparing periodic and final management reports that comply with the EC rules. Preparation of periodic management reports, including justification of costs and Form C of all beneficiaries.
- Preparation of Consortium Agreement (CA) with the aim of regulating the managerial bodies, the decision making process and the management of IP and prior-existing knowledge
Task 3: Gender equality
- CASCADE will actively promote gender equality within the consortium, and will also pay due attention to gender aspects in executing the project. This activity will be subcontracted to CorePage
Task 4: Communication
- To establish and maintain a project website in collaboration with WB9
- To initiate and develop a project working papers and project communication series for respectively internal and external communication of project results, also in collaboration with WB9
Task 5: Organisation of meetings
- Smooth organization and facilitation of the RTD and MGT activities of the project will be achieved by plenary meetings planned well in advance which ideally will be hosted by partner organisations with study sites. The goal of the meetings is to have scientific discussions as well as to receive updates regarding the financial and IP status and the interaction with the EC.
- Organisation and facilitation of executive board meetings. Partner 1 (Alterra) will facilitate the organization of executive board meetings which will be planned ahead of time.