Participant 12 - Cyprus University of Technology (CUT), Cyprus
- Published: Monday, 16 January 2012 13:58
- Written by Joost Vlaming (SU)
Institute description: Cyprus University of Technology is a newly established state university in Cyprus (founded at 2004) that has already established all necessary infrastructures and it is currently employing 500 academic and administrative personnel. The Department of Civil Engineering and Geomatics goal is high-quality scientific instruction and the furthering of research and applications relevant to the areas of civil and environmental engineering, and geomatics. The Department of Agricultural Sciences, Biotechnology and Food Science has been actively involved in the research areas of agricultural sciences. Role in the project: participating in WPs 2, 3-9
Past experience: Departments have already participated in collaborated national, European and international funded projects. The Department Civil Engineering and Geomatics is a coordinator of a 3.6 million euros Marie-Curie funded project dealing with the smart management of the human environment and several other national and European funded projects. Moreover, both Departments are coordinators of more than 30 funded project deals with agricultural sciences, plant pathology, water resources management, air pollution monitoring, water supply networks.
- Prof. Diofantos Hadjimitsis is a Professor and Chair of the Department of Civil Egineering of Geomatics at the Cyprus University of Technology. He is also the Head of the Remote Sensing and Geo-Envioronment Research Lab. He has more than 300 publications in journals and conference proceedings in the field of environmental surveillance, agricultural monitoring, water resources management, soil classification using satellite remote sensing and GIS. He was the coordinator of more than 15 projects in the fields of GIS, remote sensing. He has been participated since 2007 in more than 35 projects funded from EC and natioanl funds. His resaerch interests are: GIS, remote sensing, UAV etc.
- Dr. Dimitris Tsaltas is an Assistant Professor of the Department of Agricultural Sciences, Biotechnology and Food Science. His research interests are in plant-microbe interactions (at a molecular and biochemical level), biofilm formation by microorganisms, bacterial quorum sensing mechanism and the biological control of plant disease.
- Giorgos Papadavid is a researcher at the Agricultural Research Institute of Cyprus and currently a researcher at the Cyprus University of Technology. He has been granted co-funding from EU and Cyprus government for his PhD for a project regarding irrigation demand management. He has more than 25 publications in the agricultural, water resources management.
- Dr. Evangelos Akylas is an Assistant Professor Physicist (Bsc, MSc) with expertise in physics of fluids (PhD). His research interests include theoretical and numerical studies in Fluid Mechanics with application in atmosphere and in subsurface hydraulic flows. He authored or co-authored more than 50 research papers published in scientific journals and conference proceedings and acts as reviewer in several journals.
- Dr. Kyriakos Themistokleous is the Head of the Geo-Informatics Unit of the Remote Sensing and Geo-Environment Resaerch Group at the Department of Civil Engineering and Geomatics of the Cyprus University of Technology. He has more than 150 pulications in the fields of GIS, UAV and remote sensing.His resaerch interests are: GIS, remote sensing, UAV etc.
- Dr. Michalakis Christoforou is a research associate of the Department of Civil Engineering and Geomatics. He obtained his BSc in Plant protection from the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki and his MSc in Horticulture from the University of Reading, UK. He holds a PhD in Nematology from the Cyprus University of Technology. Within the last six years he is lecturing Agricultural Zoology and Nematology, Weed Science, and Agricultural Machinery as a module convenor and also Entomology, Botany, Molecular Biology and Phytopathology as a lab assistant in the Department of Agricultural Science, Biotechnology and Food Science.
- Dr. Kostas Andreou is an Agronomist who graduated from the School of Agriculture at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki with a specialization in Plant Protection. He holds an MSc in Environmental Sciences from the University of Lancaster, Lancaster Environment Centre, UK and a PhD from the same university with specialization in the fate and behavior of organic pollutants in soils.
- Hadjimitsis D.G. And Toulios L. ‘Satellite Remote Sensing and GIS for Crop Discrimination and Crop Monitoring', International Conference in: Information Systems in Sustainable Agriculture, Agro-environment and Food Technology-Remote Sensing & GIS Session, organized by: HAICTA, Univ. of Thessaly, TEI Larissa, COST 725 20-23 September 2006, Volos, Greece (2006)
- Hadjimitsis, D.G, Toulios L., Hadjimitsis M., Hadjimitsi C., Xenophontos X. And Clayton C.R.I, Use of Space Technology for Assisting Environmental Impact and Risk Assessment Studies, 9th Conference on Environmental Science and Technology - 2005. Greece, September 1st - 3 rd , 2005.
- Papadavid, G., Hadjimitsis, D.G., Fedra, K., Michaelides, S., 2011. Smart management and monitoring of irrigation demand in Cyprus using remote sensing and water resources simulation and optimization. Advances in Geosciences Journal (accepted).
- Papadavid , G., Agapiou, A., Michaelides, S., Hadjimitsis, D.G., 2009. The integration of Remote Sensing and Meteorological data for monitoring irrigation demand in Cyprus Natural Hazards and Earth System Sciences-An Open Access Journal of the European Geosciences Union. Advances in Mediterranean Meteorology, 9, 2009-2014. 21.
- Tsaltas D., Pittas L., Neophytou G., Fellas P., Hadjimitsis D., A. Laghos And Ioannou N., ‘A novel approach for real time forecasting and mapping of potato late blight in Cyprus, 14th Phyto-pathology Conference, Nafplio, Greece (2008).